The NWT Recreation and Park Association (NWTRPA) and its Board of Directors announce that a full program review of its annual winter walking challenge has been completed in alignment with the NWTRPA’s strategic goals relating to decolonization and reconciliation. The NWTRPA finalized a full report entitled: Walking the Steps of our Ancestors: NWTRPA Walking Challenge. The NWTRPA staff and Board of Directors are starting the implementation of the final report’s recommendations beginning with reverting back to the name “Walk to Tuk”.
What is Walk to Tuk?
Walk to Tuk is an annual community walking challenge. Community members, schools, and workplaces are encouraged to form teams and conceptually walk the distance of the Big River from Zhatıé Kų́ę́/Fort Providence to Tuktuuyaqtuuq/Tuktoyaktuk, a total of 1,658km. This free event is a great way to meet new people and stay active during the cold and dark months of winter. Participants have from January 2 to February 29, 2024, to collectively walk 1,658km and get their team to Tuktuuyaqtuuq.
No matter who or where you are,Walk to Tuk is a great way for us to celebrate the new year being healthy, safe, and engaged with our community. See you out there!
Subscribe to the Walk to Tuk Weekly Newsletter!
Seeking NWT Writers and Artists:
Are you a NWT Hamlet, NWT Non-Profit Organization, NWT Classroom, NWT Writer or NWT Artist? The NWT Recreation and Parks Association (NWTRPA) is seeking different partnerships with NWT based organizations, NWT Communities, freelance writers or artists to write articles or create art-based projects for the upcoming 2024 Walk to Tuk communication campaign: aligned with the recommendations of the Walk to Tuk program review report, Walking the Steps of our Ancestors: NWTRPA Walking Challenge. Follow this link to learn more: Walk to Tuk Communication Campaign
How to register:
Registration is open for the Walk to Tuk 2024 from December 1, 2023, to January 15, 2024.
If you’re looking to join a team, you can get in touch with the team captain of the team you’d like to join, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org | 1-867-669-8375 | and we can help find a team for you.
What are the Walk to Tuk rules?
- Teams of up to 20 people (or 35 for school teams) are challenged to walk from Zhatıé Kų́ę́ to Tuktuuyaqtuuq along the Big River for a total distance of 1,658km.
- Teams have from January 1 to February 29, 2024 to walk as far as they can along the river. They can follow their progress on the Walk to Tuk application and on the interactive Walk to Tuk Map here.
- One hour of walking equals 5km for teams of 1 – 10 people.
- One hour of walking equals 4km for teams of 11 – 20 people.
- Every Monday, team captains log into the Walk to Tuk application to make sure their team has been putting in their time and/or kilometres every week on their way up the Big River. In order to be eligible for weekly prizes and team captain prizes, teams must have entered their activity through their Walk to Tuk application dashboard.
- Any exercise that is continuous, moderate to vigorous-intensity, aerobic physical activity (such as jogging or cross-country skiing) counts towards the challenge. Activities must be done in bouts of at least 15 minutes to be counted.
What does a team captain do?
- Motivates people to get outside into the fresh air, and get moving!
- If a captain is running a team of fresh energy this year, they can get started by signing up for the challenge, then create a team by following the User Guide instruction How to Create Team and finally, invite team members through the User Guide How to Invite Team Members.
- Fills out team information, adds a team profile picture, and provides descriptions/stories for their team’s profile page.
- Team Captains can also create offline participants who would rather not create an account. Follow the User Guide instructions on How to Create Offline Participants
- Receives the team’s start up communication tools by email from the admin team.
- Tracks and submits their own walking time/distance online with the click of a button. Captains can also add or edit time/distance for their teammates.
- Helps the NWTRPA organize walking celebrations in their community where prizes will be awarded.
- Motivates and encourages their team to complete the challenge!
What can you win?
A variety of prizes are
Click here to see what prizes you, your team, or your team captain could win.
Calendar in Bullet Points:
- December 1, 2023 to January 15, 2024: Registration
- January 1, 2024: Start of Walk to Tuk 2024 First day of tracking activity
- January 16, 2024: Team Captains and Team Members deadline to edit/enter team activity for WEEK 1 & WEEK 2 To be Eligible for Week 1 & Week 2 prizes
- January 17, 2024: Weekly Prize Draws (weeks 1 and 2) announced in the Walk to Tuk Newsletter (subscribe here)
- January 29, 2024: Team Captains and Team Members deadline to edit/enter team activity for WEEK 3 & WEEK 4 To be Eligible for Week 3 & Week 4 prizes
- January 30, 2024: January Photo Contest Submission deadline (click here for more information)
- January 31, 2024: Weekly Prize Draws (weeks 3 and 4) and January Photo Contest announced in the Walk to Tuk Newsletter (subscribe here)
- February 12, 2024: Team Captains and Team Members deadline to edit/enter team activity for WEEK 5 & WEEK 6 To be Eligible for Week 5 & Week 6 prizes
- February 14, 2024: Weekly Prize draws (weeks 5 and 6) announced in the Walk to Tuk Newsletter (subscribe here)
- February 26, 2024: Team Captains and Team Members deadline to edit/enter team activity for WEEK 7 & WEEK 8 To be Eligible for Week 7 & Week 8 prizes
- February 27, 2024: February Photo Contest Submission deadline (click here for more information)
- February 28, 2024: Weekly Prize draws (weeks 7 and 8) and February Photo Contest announced in the Walk to Tuk Newsletter (subscribe here)
- February 29, 2024: LAST DAY OF THE WALK TO TUK EVENT
- March 4, 2024:Team Captains and Team Members deadline to edit/enter team activity for WEEK 9 To be Eligible for Week 9 prize
- March 6, 2024: Weekly Prize draws (week 9)
- March 8, 2024: Weekly Prize draws Grand Prizes, Captain Prizes & Team Prizes winners will be announced (click here for more information)